Friday, September 7, 2012

loving my example

I often find myself reading Psalm 139.  It is a safe place for me - full of promises and the reassurance that God did not mess up on me.  I find comfort in these words, so full of purpose and love.  To concentrate on the purpose and specificity with which I was created is a freeing thing to me.  These scriptures are like a safe haven for my sometimes weary soul.
This week, something new occurred to me, a sweet gift that I wanted to relish and record.  Verse 5 reads: "You place your hand of blessing on my head."  Each night, Dave blesses our kids.  They ask for it, expect it, and wait patiently (sometimes!) for it.  We follow the example of a dear friend who raised 4 children who passionately seek the Lord as adults with children of their own.  (His example continues, though his life here on earth does not.)  Each night, Daddy's hand of blessing rests upon their heads, while he prays the priestly blessing from Numbers 6 "May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you his favor and give you his peace."  
Through this little phrase in verse 5, my mind rabbit-trailed to think about the ways my husband loves our kids.  After an exhausting hour+ commute each day, he has nothing but joy and love for them as they attack him as he approaches the house.  The sound of his car engine, or his keys in the door, ignite excitement and joy immeasurable.  They drop everything, pause the TV, put down the Polly Pockets, to greet him with arms extended.  He sits, plays, reads, tickles, and cuddles with them, when his tired body wants nothing more than to squeeze in a cat nap before dinner. His face lights up when they tell him a story, as small or insignificant as it might be.  He laughs with them, knows them, sees them, and understands them.  
And then the question hit me: How much more does my heavenly father, perfect and sinless, love me?  I was struck with gratitude at the daily example I get to see of a father's love for his children.  That he lives to bless, provide, lead and cover us.  He sees their imperfections, failings and weaknesses and yet loves them with abandon.  He doesn't qualify his love for them based on their performance or achievements.  He just loves them because he's their daddy.  

And my Daddy does the same for me.

Thank you, Dave.  I couldn't imagine a better companion and partner in this crazy chaotic life we've been given.  I love you.



2 comments:

  1. Girl, you have me in tears over here! You got a good one...I did too! We are blessed. Thanks for honoring your husband. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victory, this was so beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete