I would hope that I have some similarity to the Proverbs 31 woman. This morning I arose early. That's a start. After a week of camping, followed by days spent confined to our home with sick kids, I was rather short on patience this weekend. I collapsed into bed early last night, so when 6:00 came around this AM, it was not too difficult to get up and get moving. With a cup of coffee in hand, I had the opportunity to spend over an hour (with several interruptions) on the couch - reading my Bible and praying. I realized how long it had been since I was able to carve out some time alone to focus on that which keeps me grounded.
This whole idea of rising early became a little clearer to me. Boot Camp begins in my house today - Dave and I see the need to realign some behaviors and attitudes. The pace and flexibility of summer have definitely gotten to our kids, and we decided yesterday it is time to get some things in order before we head into a new school year. Right off the bat, I could identify the kindness and patience in my responses to the girls. Perhaps it is easy to muster up some extra patience when the Bible is laying open in your lap, so the test will be throughout the day, how I am able to respond when hours have passed between me and that time spent with the Lord. What better way is there to begin a morning than refilling my tank with the reminders that the Lord is near to me, equipping me for anything I might encounter today? For me, this is worth far more than an extra hour of sleep.
Don't get me wrong - I enjoy my sleep. But more than that, I love seeing the Lord in how I respond to my kids and my husband. I love knowing that the attitudes of my heart are pleasing to Him, and the words that come from my mouth are cloaked in love and patience. And even just now, I watched how a kind response not only turns away wrath, but encourages kindness in others. When I exemplify impatience towards my kids, they turn on each other and follow my example. I have to believe that the same trickle-down effect will occur when I am encouraging, kind, and patient.
If I want God to be glorified in my life, it'd better start with my home, with those closest to me. At the end of my days, I hope that my family will be able to see, without too much effort, the virtues of a woman that pleased her God, and in turn, loved her family well.
I love it, Victory. Thank you for sharing.
ReplyDelete