Wednesday, September 19, 2012

young and old and somewhere in between

 
I have been contemplating some ideas around youthfulness for the past week or so... wanting to put some of my thoughts here, but feeling like it was half-baked.  Until today.  I was struck by the contrast of youthfulness and those older in age, and the two opposing ends of the life spectrum.

Last week, while reading through 1 Timothy, I came upon the beloved verse regarding youth.  Chapter 4, verse 12 reads: "Don’t let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity."  When you are young, this scripture can be a great sense of encouragement and add some spring to your step.  It is empowering and life-giving to a young person who is trying to walk uprightly and honoring to God, but struggles with feeling like they are not being taken seriously.  I was committed to the Lord at 15, walking a (mostly) straight and narrow path (God's grace is sufficient). I struggled with my testimony, or what I thought was a lack there-of.  Now I understand, at the whopping age of 34, that my testimony is one of commitment and faithfulness.  And that, sadly, can feel extremely under-valued in the church.  We like the flashly conversions, the miraculous salvations, the 180-degree transformations.  That is definitely heavy on my heart as I raise my children, and in whatever capacity I can share with the youth around me.  But, I digress...

The thing that jumped out at me last week about this verse was that there is no smaller expectation or standard of holiness for the youth.  In fact, they are called to be an example to ALL believers, not just the kids coming up the ranks behind them.  I see the value in the excitement and passion with which younger people pursue our God.  I think back to when I met Dave, and how passionately he dedicated himself to learning about the Lord - not that he is less passionate now, but it definitely has a different flavor to it (blame it on the wife, 4 kids, hour commute, exhausting job, mortgage, etc.). I love that youthfulness should NEVER BE AN EXCUSE to cut corners, make compromises, or submit half-heartedly.  When we're younger, I think it is common for us to think that we'll surrender to the Lord when we are in a future season (career, marriage, kids, etc).  It is easy to look ahead and not see the excuses that will follow us all the days of our lives, if we let them.  This scripture should not only be empowering to the youth that read it, but also convicting to the fact that there is a call to live well in your youth.  And it should serve as a reminder to those of us who are further along in years, to value the passion and energy in younger ones - and to never lower our expectations of them.
  
And now for the other side of the coin - the elderly.  Leviticus 19: 32 reads, "Stand up in the presence of the aged, and show respect for the old; thus shall you fear your God: I am the Lord."  This morning I was praying about some stuff going on in our life right now, and found myself craving the perspective of my 81-year old neighbor.  She is a true gem, and my conversations with her have become invaluable.  She loves the Lord, says it like it is, isn't ruffled by the small things of this life, and has a pleasantness about her that I believe in directly heaven-sent.  She has experienced heartache, triumph, disappointment, purpose, and God's faithfulness in ways that far outnumber those from my limited years.  I find that she has a way of saying things that just simplify and clarify.  I was reflecting back on a school assignment in high school where I had to interview someone elderly.  I chose my 85-year old great aunt - and I had a wonderful time hearing about her life from that angle.  Through that assignment, I learned to value the wisdom that can only come with age.  And now, with my neighbor, I am challenged to learn to prioritize.  She has never ONCE been too busy for us.  My kids absolutely adore her and rush to her at every opportunity.  If her garage is open, they're in it.  If they hear her in her backyard, they stand on our playhouse and shout over the wall.  I have even seen them purposefully throw/kick/hit balls over the fence, just to have an excuse to go get it.  Life appears to be in the right balance.  And she reminds me that these busy years are short, and I don't want to miss them by always anticipating the next season.  

I love that we age. I love that with each age comes an amazing set of complexities and challenges that we need to overcome.  I love that if we take a minute to step back and see the bigger picture, we can learn so much by simply watching.  The youth are a reminder of passion and energy.  See how when they want something, they will chase it with all their might.  And then, turn your gaze to see the elderly - watch what they value and prioritize.  If only I can seep a little of both extremes into my life today. Perhaps it will make getting old (and gray - found 3 more this week!) a little more satisfying.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment