I have found myself in one of those seasons where it feels like I am being beaten down on every side. In all fairness, they are things that are quite small in the grand scheme of life (multiple simultaneously broken appliances, puking dog, coughs and colds in the house). The real kicker came this week, when I was in a (relatively) minor car accident. I am at fault. That makes it worse. Not to mention the fact that my car was smoking and pouring out a rainbow of fluids. Needless to say, it was towed away from the scene. I was going about 5 mph, maybe 10, but just seemed to hit the car in front of me just right to do all sorts of damage to my family mobile, and very little damage to her tough Ford pickup. I surprised myself with how completely I unraveled. I tend to think of myself as pretty capable, MOST days. Well, not on Wednesday. Upon exiting my (smoking) car, one glance at the crunched-up hood had me in tears, on and off for hours. No joke. It was terrible.
So, here is the thing… I used to be a victim. When growing up, I tended to be a half-glass-full kind of girl. I would allow these seasons to weigh HEAVILY on me. But, as I wrestled with putting things into perspective, it wasn't quite so hard to see God's hand in it all. First of all, I was driving alone (doesn't happen often for me!), no kids to worry about or care for. The other car was much tougher than mine and suffered minimal damage. I walked away from the accident with nothing bruised or broken (except my ego, perhaps). I called on my village and they showed up BIG TIME – picking up kids for me, bringing us dinner, so I had one less thing to deal with, etc. I have a mechanic I trust who is helping me navigate the unfamiliar "collision" side of things. Our insurance is the best, and reserved a rental for me that was ready and waiting when I pulled up. At the end of the day, everyone was home, and while I was still a bit shaken, we were safe.
There were sweet little moments even – of God's kindness to me – little details that spoke to my heart, in a very personal and meaningful way. They served to simply remind me that, for whatever reason this is unfolding, but I have a big God who is so close to me. I am not facing anything in life alone. Big or small. He is with me, covering me, hearing me, and seeing me.
Gratitude, like many other things in life, is like a muscle. It needs to be practiced. We are supposed to be diligently exercising the gift that it is to seek out that which we can be grateful for. In all circumstances. And today, while I may be a little sore, I am also blessed by the fact that the list of things for which I should be thankful just keeps growing.
Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. - 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments:
Post a Comment