I decided I needed the time to reflect before jumping in to 2012. Since it's been 8 longs months since I posted anything on here, I decided I need an updated photo to go along with it...

My answers:
1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
We have grown as a couple and a family through trials, schedules, and pressures.
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
My job change – both from the perspective of leaving the family biz and the familiar (17 years!), and also the beginning of something totally brand new (and all the unknowns that come with that!).
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Watching our kids fall in love with camping in Yosemite while we truly unplugged. I think we knew it would be a great time, but to still hear words of affection – even from the littlest Ludwigs – makes me want to go back today!
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
Facing my issues – my need to please, my fear to disappoint, and therefore my inability to juggle well. I never expected the transition to be so hard on so many different levels.
5. Pick three words to describe 2011.
Survival, Growth, Exhaustion
6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2011 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you).
Stretching, Refining, Grace
7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2011 (again, without asking).
Busy, Fulfilling, Balance
8. What were the best books you read this year?
Well, the only 3 I finished were the Hunger Games trilogy. I started and was greatly encouraged by 1000 Gifts.
9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
Dave – my husband and best friend. The family and friends in my life who took the time to ask me how I was doing, and then listened and listened some more. I am so grateful to know that I have people who pray for me.
10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
My job – and all that is wrapped up in that.
11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
My self-opinion is changing. My need to please is shifting, as my priorities are truly taking shape and being put to the test. I am trying to be more self-aware but not caught up in my thoughts either. Trying to care most what God thinks, and then learn to see myself as He does.
12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
I was more disciplined, during the year as a whole, in my devotional time. I did it out of realizing my need for Christ, as opposed to just being religious.
13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
Who knows – I wish I had time to grow physically!!
14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
With Dave – honesty, challenging one another, gratitude for what we have (esp in comparison to the trials we’ve seen rage around us), listening and learning to accept what he sees in me beyond what I see in myself.
Generally – I am learning to let go of the fear of disappointing man (see a theme here?) – I desire to please God first. This is a big one for me. I have to define my boundaries and live them. As I said earlier, my priorities have been put to the test in greater ways than ever before.
15. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Working from home – getting to be mommy more of the time. And seeing my impact on the work of Sharefest. Seeing my gifts be used in new and lasting ways.
16. What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Finding the balance in my new job. Not letting it swallow me whole. Being ok with walking away from something when my family needed me more. Juggling all of the details and not killing myself trying to keep everyone happy.
17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Who knows – I don’t feel like I waste time. Perhaps it was fretting over things that I cannot control. Or fretting over things that I can control, simply because it was out of my comfort zone to take control.
18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
I have always thought of myself as an efficient person. I’ve never had to walk it out as much as I did this year, and there is much satisfaction in looking back and seeing all that I did complete and accomplish, even when time was not on my side.
19. What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
To train my eyes to not look at the mountains ahead, but rather to look just one step ahead. To recognize and accept my limitations and to find freedom in being me.
20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2011 for you.
This was a year of unanticipated challenges, as well as resulting personal growth. While I do not feel I come out completing unscathed, I do see God’s hands on me and I survive in His graciousness towards me. He has generously shown me in very tangible ways that He sees me and knows me.
I think you handled this year with so much grace. Unexpected challenges shape us and I see God growing you and your family in the most amazing ways. Your integrity and obedience to the voice of the Lord is always encouraging to me.
ReplyDeletethoughtfully put, vic.
ReplyDelete:)